Several streets affected by Championship activities, Big 12 Run
March 05, 2020
Kansas City, Mo.—Downtown will welcome thousands of basketball fans next week as the Phillips 66 Big 12 Men's and Women's Basketball Championships return to Kansas City, March 11-15. Please be advised that fan fests and other Championship activities will close the following Downtown streets/lanes:
- Grand Boulevard (between 13th St. and Truman Rd.): closed starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 9, through 6 a.m. on Sunday, March 15.
- Oak Street (between 13th Ter. and Truman Rd. N. Dr.): limited to two lanes starting at noon on Wednesday, March 11, through midnight on Sunday, March 15.
- 14th Street (between Main and Walnut Sts.): closed starting at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, March 10, through midnight on Sunday, March 15. There will be valet access to 14th between Main and Walnut during the closure.
- 14th Street (between Walnut St. and Grand Blvd.): closed starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 9, through 6 a.m. on Sunday, March 15.
- Walnut Street, between 13th Street and Truman Road, will be closed starting at 6 p.m. on Monday, March 9, through 6 a.m. on Sunday, March 15. H&R Block will maintain access to its employee parking garage.
- Truman Road (from Oak St. to Walnut St., including the Grand Boulevard Bridge) will be limited to one lane starting at 10 a.m. on Monday, March 9, through 6 a.m. on Sunday, March 15. Residents and guests of Two Light apartments will maintain access to the building's garage throughout the event.
In addition, Kansas City's Big 12 Run will close the following streets on Saturday, March 14, on a rolling basis starting at 8 a.m. until the conclusion of the race at roughly 11:30 a.m. Traffic will be allowed to cross the race route when deemed safe to do so by the Kansas City Police Department. Registration and a course map can be found at kcbig12run.com.
- Grand Boulevard (between 8th and 12th Sts., and between Truman and Pershing Rd.)
- 8th Street (between Grand Blvd. and Holmes St.)
- Holmes Street (between 8th and 18th Sts. and between 30th and 31st Sts.)
- Truman Road (between Holmes St. and Woodland Ave. and between Grand Blvd. and Oak St.)
- Woodland Avenue (between Truman Rd. and 18th St.)
- 18th Street (between Woodland and Vine St. and between Holmes St. and Grand Blvd.)
- Vine Street (between 18th St. and 17th Ter.)
- 17th Terrace (between Vine St. and The Paseo)
- The Paseo (between 17th Ter. and 31st St.)
- 31st Street (between The Paseo and Holmes St.)
- 30th Street (between Holmes St. and McGee)
- McGee (between Holmes St. and Gillham Rd.)
- Gillham Road (between McGee and Pershing Rd.)
- Oak Street (between Truman Rd. and 9th St.)
- 9th Street (between Oak St. and Grand Blvd.)
Due to traffic congestion related to these closures and other Downtown construction, city officials encourage drivers allow for extra time when traveling through Downtown or to utilize transportation options like KC Streetcar and the Metro Area Express (MAX). The Kansas City Police Department encourages fans to lock vehicles and stow valuables when cars are unattended. For tickets, parking and other helpful Championship information, visit the city's Official Fan Information Site at VisitKC.com/Big12Basketball.
About Visit KC
Visit KC is a non-profit organization whose mission is to ignite global passion for Kansas City. Through marketing, sales and service of the convention and tourism industries, Visit KC supports a vital and growing component of the local economy—generating nearly 48,000 jobs and $5.5 billion in economic impact annually. For more information about Kansas City, go to VisitKC.com.
# KC #