Designation plays homage to city's rich legacy
April 01, 2013
Designated by the United States Conference of Mayors and for the first time ever in 2013, April is International Jazz Appreciation Month. To honor Kansas City's most treasured tradition, several attractions and jazz establishments offer exhibits and concerts in celebration of one of America's most unique music form. Here's a list of jumping joints and world-class events happening in April and all year long.
American Jazz Museum
- April 4-Conversation with Regina Carter, jazz violinist, 6 p.m.
- April 5-Jazz storytelling, introduces children to new music and cultures, American Jazz Museum Atrium, 10 a.m.
- April 18 - 20, 18th & Vine Jazz Festival, a non-competitive program for middle and high school and college level students, held in partnership with Penn Valley Metropolitan Community College.
- All year long - Learn about jazz's rich legacy through the museum's permanent collections and interactive exhibitions, which include the history of the 18th & Vine area, jazz masters and jazz on film.
Full list of events can be found at www.americanjazzmusuem.org
- April 20-Eric Harland and Voyager, 8:30 p.m.
- April 21-"Jesus Moonwalks the Mississippi," a Rep & Rev play reading series, 4 p.m.
The Gem Theater is located at 1615 E. 18th St. More information available at www.americanjazzmusueum.org
- April 3-Kansas City Kansas Community College Jazz Ensemble and The Kansas City High School Jazz All Stars, Unity Temple, 7 p.m. www.unitytemple.com
- April 4-Matt Kane's KC Generations Quintet, The Blue Room, 7 p.m. www.americanjazzmusuem.org
- April 4 -The Kansas City Jazz Orchestra salutes Benny Goodman, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, 7:30 p.m. www.kauffmancenter.org
- April 13 - Multi-GRAMMY Award nominee, Brazilian pianist/singer/composer/arranger Eliane Elias, Folly Theater, 8 p.m. www.follytheater.com
- April 16-Jazz Poetry Jams, The Blue Room, 7 p.m. www.americanjazzmusuem.org
- April 24-26, Kansas City Jazz Summit, a jazz competition for jazz choirs, bands and ensembles in middle and high schools and colleges at Kansas City Kansas Community College. For more information visit,www.kansascityjazz.org.
- April 27-GRAMMY Award Nominee Gerald Clayton Trio, The Blue Room, 8:30 p.m.www.americanjazzmusuem.org
- April 26-Bobby McFerrin, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, 8 p.m. www.kauffmancenter.org
- Fridays and Saturdays-Mutual Musicians Foundation, late night jam sessions, midnight - 6 a.m. 816-471-5212.
- Kansas City has more than 40 clubs that play live jazz regularly. For full list of clubs and performers, go to: VisitKC.com and click on "Entertainment."