DESCRIPTION: Originally a Victorian home built in 1887, the Strawberry Hill Museum and Cultural Center now promotes, sponsors and preserves the Slavic ethnic heritage prevalent in Kansas City, KS, with a wide variety of culturally relevant exhibits and artifacts.
ADDRESS: 720 N. 4th St. Kansas City, KS 66101
LOCATION: Just across I-70 and the Missouri River in the historic Strawberry Hill neighborhood.
HOURS: Noon-5 p.m. Sat.-Sun. Closed Christmas and New Year's Day.
ADMISSION: Adults $10, children ages 6-12 $5, children under 6 free (cash or check only).
HISTORY: Built in 1887 on a hillside in the aptly named Strawberry Hill neighborhood of downtown Kansas City, KS, the museum was once the home of John and Mary Scroggs. The property, considered to be the most outstanding example of Queen Anne-style architecture in the area, was occupied by the family for 32 years. Following an influenza epidemic and sale of the Scroggs family home, the Sisters of St. Francis of Christ the King purchased the house in 1919, with plans to open a local orphanage for children of abandoned by the raging illness. Closed in 1988 due to “changing social needs,” the property was then acquired by the Strawberry Hill Ethnic Cultural Society, a group of residents, including leader Msgr. John W. Horvat, who feared that the home would be destroyed. Today, the Strawberry Hill Museum is a testament to the people of the KCK neighborhood and their proud ethnic heritage.
WHAT’S NEARBY: Downtown Kansas City, MO, is less than 10 minutes away.
ANNUAL SPECIAL EVENTS: The Strawberry Hill Museum comes alive during the holiday season, as the home is filled with beautiful decorations. The ethnic exhibits highlight the holiday celebrations of Croatia, Poland, Slovakia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Slovenia, Netherlands, Russia, Ireland, African American, Mexico, Germany, Italy, Denmark and Belgium.
DID YOU KNOW: A celebration of the museum’s previous life was as a Catholic orphanage, the sisters living quarters, sister’s prayer chapel and day care center
GROUP TOURS: Day or evening tours during the week for parties of 20 or more can be arranged by calling the museum at 913-371-3264. Rental of the Tom Tomasic Hall and the Tea Room are available: contact the museum 913-371-3264 or check the website Day or evening tours during the week for parties of 20 or more can be arranged by calling 913-230-0357.
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION: Take the Metro to 345 James St. NB.
PARKING: Street parking is available in front of the museum or turn into St. John’s church lot (on Barnett Ave.-one way going east from 5th Street) museum is located across the bridge over the alley.
PUBLIC RELATIONS CONTACT: Adrienne Nastav, President, firstname.lastname@example.org or 913-371-3264.